The Tiny Titans of Nutrition: Discovering Microgreens on Oonnie
by Courtney Hanak on Jun 27, 2023
What Are Microgreens?
Microgreens are the tender young seedlings of vegetables and herbs harvested when they are just a few weeks old. They are generally harvested just after the first set of true leaves has developed, which is typically 1-3 inches in height. Despite their diminutive size, microgreens pack a powerful nutritional punch. They are not only flavorful but are also packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Why Use Microgreens?
1. Enhance Your Meals: Microgreens add a splash of color, a crunch of texture, and an intensity of flavor to a variety of dishes. They can transform a simple sandwich, salad, soup, or entree into a gourmet experience.
2. Nutrient-Dense: Studies have shown that microgreens can contain up to 40 times more nutrients compared to their mature counterparts. This makes them an excellent way to boost your daily intake of essential nutrients.
3. Easy to Incorporate: Because of their size, microgreens are very versatile and easy to incorporate into any meal. A sprinkle here and there, and you've got yourself a nutritional boost.
Spotlight on Broccoli, Sunflower, and Pea Shoot Microgreens
1. Broccoli Microgreens: Broccoli microgreens are a nutritional superstar. They are packed with vitamins A, C, E, K, and B, as well as minerals such as potassium, iron, zinc, and magnesium. But their true claim to fame is their high levels of sulforaphane, a powerful antioxidant that has been linked to many health benefits, including heart health and cancer prevention.
2. Sunflower Microgreens: These vibrant greens are a delightful combination of crunchy texture and a slightly nutty flavor. They are high in vitamins A, B, D, and E, and packed with important minerals such as calcium, copper, and magnesium. They're also a good source of healthy fats and plant-based protein, making them a great addition to vegetarian and vegan diets.
3. Pea Shoot Microgreens: The tender tendrils of pea shoot microgreens offer a sweet, slightly earthy taste reminiscent of fresh peas. They are rich in vitamins A, C, E, and K, and minerals like calcium, magnesium, and iron. Moreover, they have a high amount of dietary fiber, which aids digestion.
The Oonnie Advantage
When you purchase your microgreens from Oonnie, you're guaranteed fresh, locally grown, nutrient-packed powerhouses. Grown and harvested with care by Alberta's local farmers, our microgreens are the perfect addition to your culinary repertoire and your health regime.
Incorporating microgreens into your meals not only elevates your dishes but also contributes to a balanced diet. So why not sprinkle some sunflower microgreens on your morning avocado toast, add broccoli microgreens to your lunchtime salad, or garnish your evening soup with pea shoots? The possibilities are endless, and your body will thank you.
Join us in embracing these tiny titans of nutrition. Let’s grow our health and community together, one microgreen at a time!